Karen Horwitz, M.A., M.F.T.
3424 West Carson Street, Suite 270
Torrance, CA 90503
Karen Horwitz is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. She has a private practice in which she specializes in working with families going through divorce, co-parenting, and parent alienation. Karen has had training in mediation, most recently the 40 hour training in the understanding based model. In addition, she has had more specific training in child custody mediation and in negotiating parenting plans that are best for the children based on their developmental needs. She is also trained as a Collaborative Coach and Child Specialist for Collaborative Divorce cases.
She has extensive experience in mindful conflict resolution. She has training from the Mindful Parenting Program, at The Maple Counseling Center, in Beverly Hills. This led to another area of specialty in psychotherapy working with children ages 4 years and up. She also holds certificates in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy for both adults and children from the Psychoanalytic Center of California.
Karen also established a niche working as a Parenting Shadow. A Parenting Shadow is a mental health professional who works in the home environment helping moms and dads to better parent their children where there have been issues in difficult divorce cases. This also overlaps with her work as a Therapeutic Monitor as well.
Karen was a panel presenter at the 2009 AFCC conference in San Francisco. She was speaking about Parenting Shadow as an intervention in parent alienation cases. In 2010, she spoke at this same conference in Los Angeles about Parent Shadow as an innovative intervention for parents in difficult custody situations.
Karen believes that the biggest gift parents who are parting ways can give to children is finding amicable ways to get through an end to their relationship. This gives a great opportunity for children to feel safer and more secure not only at a difficult time in their families lives, but also in their future as well. She feels passionately about helping to be a catalyst to this in co-mediation and Collaborative cases.
Organizations & Specialized Training
- Collaborative Mental Health Coach certification International Association of collaborative Professionals- Phoenix, Arizona 2011
- 40 hour Mediation training- The Center for Understanding in Conflict and Mediation Law Gary Friedman and Katherine Connor San Fransisco, CA 2010
- Panel presenter Association of Family and Conciliation Courts California Chapter Conference Los Angeles, CA 2010 Parenting Shadow Innovative Intervention For Troubled Parents in Difficult Custody Situations.
- Panel Presenter Association of Family and Conciliation Courts California Chapter Conference San Fransisco, CA, 2009 Interventions with Alienated Children and their Parents: Evolution and Innovation
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Certificate Children & Adolescents, Psychoanalytic Center California, 2007
- Child Custody Mediation Training Los Angeles, CA 2005
- Mindful Parenting Training and Supervision intensive training in working with latency age children (under age 11) and toddlers at The Maple Counseling Center, 2002-2004
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Certificate - Adults, Psychoanalytic Center of California 2005
- Member California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, 2000 Present
- Member AFCC California Chapter 2004 - Present
- Antioch University, Los Angeles, Masters-Clinical Psychology-Child Studies Specialization, 2004
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York B.S. 1994
Contact Karen Horwitz, M.F.T. at Los Angeles Family Mediation Services